LEARNING A NEW ABC

I'm at school again!  Yes, I am!  I like school! :-)  One of my courses this semester is Greek I.  Last Thursday was our first day, and Greek 1, being my last subject for the week was a breath of fresh air.  Last Thursday, we learned our alphabet.  It wasn't too different from the way our teachers taught ABC in first grade.  So Greek is my favorite subject so far, although the professor likes to pick on me just because I am a Bible Translator.

Funny thing is, there are only two ladies in the group and we seem to be more linguistically inclined than the rest of the male population of our class.  Of course I am biased because I am one of the two.   My only worry is that our professor is one of those who like to talk a lot; lots of ad libs and sidetracks on every other Greek letter we learn, when all I wanted to do is to plunge right into the subject matter.  Well, I'm sure it will work out just fine but I can't help my mind to wander when he starts telling us about the schools in the US that he's been to, and the celebrated professors under whose tutelage he's been getting his expertise!  I guessed we could be narcissistic sometimes but I really hope not in my Greek class when it's hard enough to learn a new ABC where the P is read as R and the V as N. 

Another subject which I decided to be my second favorite is Church History.  We will cover the period after 100AD through 1500AD.  I think my love for stories will make this course an easy journey.  For our first meeting, we saw a biographical movie about St. Francis of Assisi.  If you are not a history buff, you'll at least like the selection of movies our professor lined up for us.  Who doesn't love movies?

Comments

After how many weeks, have u decided to dislodge Greek from ur favorite subject? Hehehe...
Margie Lumawan said…
i'm still giving it a chance! :-) But it's a bit difficult cuz I needed to forget whatever I know about morphosyntax and phonological analysis so I can learn Greek. Imaginin mo naman sis, ang tawag nila sa initial glottal fricative eh rough Breathing Marks, at ang initial glottal plosive ay smooth breathing mark. Ang nailagay ko tuloy sa Worksheet eh soft breathing... :-)

tsaka remember, di ba? partly your fault na hindi ko maalala ang tinamaan ng magaling na 'smooth' na iyan! hehehehehe
Ahahahahaha... Charge it to experience! Wawa ka naman noh? Dahil sa akin e di mo nakuha ung 'smooth'. Sabihin mo kaya sa teacher, 'can I use my own linguistic terms?' Hor hor hor ...

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS