"POLITICONG WOW MALI!


Last Tuesday, I went with others to my sister's graduation at the Ammungan Hall inside the Nueva Vizcaya Capitol Compound. I was the one tasked to hold the camera and shoot as many poses as I can. Before we went there, someone asked me how much time it would take for the ceremony to be over and I gave it two hours, give or take a few minutes. The programme was suppose to start at 2:30PM and probably it did because when we got there at 3pm, the processional was over [and so my sister sat at the back row :(]. It's her fault though! It took her two hours to come out of the salon. (Well, in fairness, it was worth the tardiness. Her make-over came out very well. I specially liked the hair. That elegance deserves a walk in the red carpet.:)


As I do when I attend graduation ceremonies, I look for something to busy myself with, be it my cellphone, my purse or my spectacles (Di ba? graduation ceremony is so boring if you are just an spectator?). This time I chose an idea in my head. I kept my eyes fixed at what's happening on stage but my mind is somewhere else. So anyway, I kept mulling this idea over and over until I heard the emcee called the graduates to render their graduation song so then I started to pay attention cuz I saw beforehand that the graduation song was in the tails of the program. Well, I won't be writing this entry if that happened.

Let's back up a little to that point where I was in another world. At that time, the president of the school came from out of the blue (siyempre kase pagtingin ko biglang crowded na yung stage kung saan nakaupo ang mga VIPs) with some local politicians in tow. As usual (at least here in my province), they give these politicians a time to speak which they make the most of. One of them, a man who's running for a major position in the province, stood and started rambling. ("Good grief, I don't have to endure this, do I?" I was telling myself.) Anyway, he started (and actually finished) his speech by 'carrying the chairs of his family.' (Understand this idiom in Tagalog, pls.) In the middle of his discourse, he related a question that a texter allegedly sent to a radio station where he had an interview. The question was "Are you a true Novo Vizcayano?" Of course he claimed he is; and his proof was to trace back his ancestry to the time of the Spaniards, saying that his Vizcaya roots went as far as that. Secondly, he told of his brothers' and sister's achievements one by one, in wearisome detail. (Boy, he has 8 siblings or 7 and he's the eighth!) So you understand why I kept squirming on my seat, and kept looking at someone else's watch. Akalain mo ba namang isa-isahin niya na kesyo si ganito daw ay cum laude doon at ganito at ganyan ang ginagawa sa buhay ngayon! (Paki ko?!) I don't have anything against flaunting the family's career exploits, ang sinasabi ko lang, that speech should have been delivered to the right ears in the right occasion. Huwag naman sa graduation ceremony where people went to celebrate the success of their daughters and sons, or husbands or wives. Napansin ko tuloy, nobody was really listening to him after a while. (Buti nga sa kaniya este Kawawa naman siya!) Kase ang iniisip ng mga tao ay hindi pa luto yung mga pagkain na pang-blow-out ng kanilang mga anak o kapatid na gumradweyt! Nahiya na nga rin ako sa sarili ko nung nakita kong wala nang nakikinig sa kaniya kaya I tried to get pass my bored-and-ready-to-bolt mood and listen na rin kahit papaano. Halata namang nakinig din ako kase bakit alam ko yung mga pingsasabi niya, diba?

What was my point again? :) Oh.... this!

So he is a Novo Vizcayano even if he only lived here during the first decade of his life. OK. So he has the right to run for public office here in my province because we are a democratic country and everybody is entitled to his/her rights. OK. I won't argue with birthrights and human rights as bases for running for a position in the local government in a province. But these things made me compare the heart of a "living with the people in the province kind of public servant" and a "comes 'home' only during the campaign period and retreat to his city house after election kind of public servant." (Sabagay, ang iba nga diyan, they are governing from behind bars eh! Yun pa kayang from a distance!) So ewan ko rin, I just thought, from listening to this particular politician, that some of them really think that we, ordinary voters have a dangerously low neuron count (meron ba nun?) kaya marinig lang natin na ganito at ganyan siya kagaling doon at diyan na eskuwelahan ay ok na! Eto ang nakakatawa: (Ni hindi nga niya alam na karamihan sa mga audience niya ay galing sa Ifugao, at hindi mga voters ng Nueva Vizcaya!) Ay apo!

Comments

admindude said…
LOL. What a fun post. I can imagine you squirming in your seat while that politician goes on and on and on. Tapos listeners pala niya ay taga Ifugao who would not be voting in Nueva Vizcaya. Ano yon, poetic justice :-)
G said…
parang ganun na nga! Sori na lng siya! lol
Wil said…
Well, as I've said before, what do you expect from a politician? They are after all... well, politicians. hehe. I heard of a similar incident of politicking during the Panagbenga festival from blogger watson. They should really take a course in public relations 101. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS