SEMANTICS, AN EXPLANATION & AN APOLOGY

A month ago, I saw a repeat telecast of an episode of OPRAH. Among her guests were the cast of the award-winning movie CRASH. They were talking about the word ‘nigger’ and the hostess wanted her black guests to share their view as to the use of ‘nigger’ in modern America. One of them said that he and his friends call each other that when they are in a bantering mood and he further suggested that it would be nice if that n-word would be redeemed and have a positive meaning associated with it. However, Oprah and two others were strongly opposed to that. They said that the word has too much of negative connotation and brings back a lot of bad memories, that using it now to identify themselves is like agreeing to all the crimes, and evil that was committed against their race just because of their skin color.

Here in the PI, there is an expletive that is commonly heard among women and gays; the word ‘BRUHA.’ From my younger years until lately, the picture that comes to mind when I hear this word is an unkempt lady; someone whose hair is so tangled that a comb would break if one attempts to smooth the tangles out. This came about because the first time I heard the word was when a character over the radio said, “Magsuklay ka nga! Para kang bruha!” Recently, I came across an English-Tagalog dictionary and saw that the literal meaning of ‘bruha’ is that of a female dog. In English, b_tch. Of course, most people would know early on, but you see, my mother is not a Tagalog! :)

Tanong lang: May naririnig pa ba kayong, “Nanganak ang bruha namin, anim sila!”? Di ba kadalasan ang naririnig ay, “Mag-ingat kayo, may asong kapapanganak diyan.”

When I see movies or read books where people call other people ‘b_tch,’ I cringe inside. Then a few years ago, I met a lady and we became friends and this lady changed my nice name (hehe) into either of these two: “Bruha, or Sis.” At first, I hated it when she starts like, “Uy, bruha, alam mo….” But then sometimes, she’d say, “Hoy, sis!” So then, I resolved that from then on, when I hear “bruha” from this lady, I should not get offended but rather associate to it the meaning of ‘sis’ or anything friendly. And of course, as they say, if you can’t beat them, join them. So I joined her. I also changed her name to "bruha” and call her that all opportunity I get. It became a 'lambing' for us both. The lambing part there is in knowing that we can call each other anything all in the name of our being sisters, and nobody gets offended.

Yesterday, someone told me that an online friend was disturbed (more like offended, but I hope not) by one of the comments this blogger has made in another friend’s blog entry where the comment started, ‘Hoy bruha…” To him, the commenter was hostile. When I heard this with my other sisters this afternoon, we laughed cuz to us, we are all bruhas and bruhildas…. but then for some reason I cannot sleep and keep thinking about it. I have a ‘revolutionized secondary meaning’ in mind when I said ‘bruha,’ nevertheless, I am still responsible. Anyway, that comment probably belongs to the recipient’s mobile phone inbox, not in the comment section of someone else’s blog, and consequently scandalizing someone else’s sensitivities.

To you, I apologize.

Peace na please! :)

Comments

Fongakhan said…
Nicely done, sis! Mantakin mo, a blog and an apology in one hehehe...

Kung sino ka man na nabahala at nabulabog, patawarin mo na ang sis (ayoko ng gamitin yung B___) kong si Ferricardia at di nia alam mga sinasabi niya ahehehe... Ayun, napahamak tuloy. She learned her lesson and will behave next time har har har...

Seriously, hindi kami nag-away. Kung nag-away kami, trust me, reresbak ako with another comment =) We just took for granted the fact that we were not in the right forum to say things like that. My apologies as well.

Next time sis ha, don't forget the smileys! =) Miss you...
Wil said…
Isip lang siguro ng reader na hindi lang yung word na "bruha" pero yung whole content ng message. Parang galit ang sinulat mo, isip ko.... I mean, isip ng reader. hehe. Baka kasi walang mga smiley faces or "just kidding" kasi. Just a theory. hehehe. :)
G said…
Uy bruha!!!! ahihihihi
salamat sa pang-aalaska at sa pagtatanggol! Ayan, pahamak ka kase! Miss ka rin ng isa pang bruha dito!

Hi wil,
Thanks for being honest and telling me how my comment struck you as something like an angry message.

The thing is (magpapalusot pa ako eh 'no?:), if i put 'hehehe' or smileys or 'just kidding' there, it would lose the effect I intended it to have, cuz I was not kidding but neither was I angry. But you are right-- knowing that it will be read by people (people who do not know much about the context in which the comment was being made)other than my intended recipient , I should have had the good sense to send it as a personal message to fongakhan... so again, thanks for pointing it out and telling Jean about it and

I'm sorry, it won't happen ever again...

at ika nga ni Trublue,

"Peace..."
Anonymous said…
I thought it's funny how we "take" or "digest" certain words. You might not have meant anything mean by the word bruha, but the recipient obviously misread it. Wil is right, smileys do help, but I hope there was no damage done. Bruha ka kasi sis...he he he
G said…
hi kayni,
actually, the true recipient has no problem with it, she was laughing her head off cuz she knows I was serious in a way but that it was not meant to offend.

Si wil lang ang may problema, hehehe... I kept thinking about it and so I tested it to some of my acquaintances (not close friends) here and nobody drew the conclusion that the commenter was angry. So my conclusion was that, it is his unfamiliarity with our present discourse dito sa Pinas ang dahilan kung bakit niya naisip yon. Kumbaga eh, between friends, there are discourse features that are allowed in a conversation which might be offensive in their surface forms but are actually semantically funny.

Thanks for leaving a comment sis! :)
Anonymous said…
Hoy bruhas and bruhos!? Kala nyo nakidnap na ako ng mga NPA's ha!! Read that particular post by Ganda before I went to da boondocks to clean my "caves" and meditate, refreshed na naman si TruBlue.
Didn't see anything wrong with the comments other than two friends playfully teasing one another. Then again, some reader/s didn't quite see it that way.
But I'm with you Ganda, let's just suck it up and deal with it. Don't
chest it too much - Translation: Huwag mung masyadong dibdibin, tama
bang translation??? hehehe......
It was great of you though to have exercised high moral to own up and be forthcoming to sincerely apologized to anyone affected. If I was next to you, I'll place a nice feather in your cap! And I mean that....o ano, okay na kayo dyan mga sis....goodhealth and cheers as usual to you all.....
G said…
oiii bruho! Welcome back!!! 'Kala ko kung saang lufalof ng kuweba mo ikaw nagsuot at di ka na makalabas!

Eto nga eh! I chested it too much! ahahah! Gusto ko yung pagkakasalin mo kahit hindi papasa sa translation consultant! lolz

Hayyy, allergic ako sa feather! Pwedeng Kalinga coffee na lang? :):):)

Seriously, I didn't do anything extraordinary to merit that feather! Gusto ko lang... WORLD PEACE!! Oh di ba? Ang Ganda? :)

Salamat kadi!
admindude said…
never realized that bruha means female dog pala. i thought it meant a witch or something. hehe.

when i first read your comment the first thing that came to mind was that both of you are close/comfortable enough with each other to call each other bruha. so hindi offensive ang dating sa akin. although its really possible to be misinterpreted.

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS