DULLED SENSES

As always the case when I stay in Manila a little bit too long, the results are dulled senses and inexplicable laziness. (So TB, you must understand why the mortar was still here even after two weeks in the page.:) After barely a week here, I started counting the days when I can finally go back home to the mountains. Anyhow, three weeks more to beat and I’ll be gone for good.

The heavy rains caused the PAGASA to postpone classes even in the postgrad level last Thursday and so the rainy days gave me a lot of free time in my hands that was spent reading One Night With the King (Hadassah)-the fictionalized story of Queen Esther of Susa in Persia less than a hundred years B.C. I saw the movie too but I think the movie did not do half a justice to the book. The script seemed to have failed to include some very essential scenes. I also started reading the latest Harry Potter book. Somewhere along the middle of the book, I got tired and switched to watching Season 1 of the famed tv series Prison Break. Besides the fact that Wentworth Miller is cute (haha) and Dominic Purcell’s unfathomable greenish eyes make you want to hold your breath and drown in it, I think the story line is really tight and gripping. The subplots are made up of convoluted conflicts that leaves one sort of satisfied yet suspended in the air every time an episode ends. One could say, Of course, it is a series after all and so they wrote it specifically to have that effect! Oh, well, whatever. Basta maganda siya! Period. So from 3pm of Tuesday until the wee hours of the morning of Thursday, I was with my laptop, stopping only to satisfy the stomach, the intestines or the kidneys. When I saw all 21 chapters of the series, it felt like it ended without closure so I texted my sister if she happened to have the sequel. She does. Being older, I asked her to bring it over to my apartment. I put the Season 2 DVD in my drive and watched until 7AM of Friday and still Prison Break 2 was far from over. Classes resumed on Friday of course and so I forced myself to get up and prepare to go to school with less than 4 hours of sleep for the last 72 hours.

So there I was in front of my class lecturing about morphophonemic-processes-conditioned-by-syllable-structure with a mind so wozzy, feet wobbly, muscles tingling from lack of sleep and body utterly dead beat that I repeatedly caught myself drifting off for a second or two while doing all I could to keep myself standing and forcing my mind to maintain alertness. It was good that the students decided to come out of their passive behavior and ask so many questions and that really did a lot to keep me awake (although some of the questions must have been a result of my failure to communicate clearly because of lethargy). Going for hours and hours without sleep is not new to me but this time, hayyyyyyyyyy, I must be feeling my age. Haha

Into the Classics: When I have time, I make it a point to read books from the 1800s. Last week I read two novels.

Pride and Prejudice. A certified classic by Jane Austen. If you have read the book or saw the movie, you would notice that the storyline is simple yet it is regarded as one of the timeless stories of the late century. Being a sucker for fairy tale-like stories, I love Pride and Prejudice immensely and specifically fell in love with the character of Lizzie (Elizabeth), an opinionated dark-haired girl who likes reading and is content in the shadows of her beautiful older sister. Even her mother does not consider Lizzie to be pretty let alone beautiful that she matched her to marry a harebrained minister. In the end, Lizzie married the richest available bachelor and had even outdone her classically beautiful sister. There are other 21st century stories with tighter plot and arrestingly beautiful story telling but why is it that this simple story of Elizabeth Bennet became an enduring masterpiece?

The Idiot. Another classic by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoevsky. A very interesting novel, a bit slow in many places but nonetheless a successful story. The author was quoted saying that his intent in writing the story was to portray a beautiful soul. I think he accomplished that intention.

What makes a classic? What are your favorite classics aside from Gone with the Wind? :) Any recommendations?

Comments

Anonymous said…
The last paperback I've read was either Mussolini or The Thorn Birds. The end of Benito should happen to every untrustworthy head of state, it's only appropriate!!
You would love the Thorn Birds, a unique love story, ensure you have lots of napkins nearby when you read it. Film was also awesome but believe it comes in two parts.
Never read Pride and Prejudice but seen it lying around our house years ago, it's my older sister's paperback. Didn't care about books then, hehe....
Cheers to you and goodhealth...Nice to know you're posting again.
G said…
hi tru! thanks! :) I wouldn't have forced myself to ramble on and on and come up with this nonsensical entry had you not implied in your comment na natotorete ka na sa kababalik dito pero ang bumubulaga sa'yo ang yung bote pa rin! lol... so thank you for the encouragement. :)

I haven't seen those titles before but I'll be sure to look out for them. Salamat ha :)

Shallom!
Wil said…
I've never read Pride and Prejudice but now I know how it ends so I guess I don't have to read it. hehehe. The only Dostoyevsky novel I read was Crime and Punishment in high school.

I rarely watch TV nowadays so I'm totally clueless regarding Lost (how appropriate), 24, Prison Break, etc. But that's some marathon you did. I can't imagine watching something for several hours, let alone days. Good thing you didn't accidentally blurt out a Prison Break character or two during your lectures. hehe
Layad said…
Naku bruha, umayos-ayos ka nga jan! Tamo, katawan mo tuloy ang naggigive up dahil sa ginagawa mo =)(I didn't forget the smileys!)

Paano nga kaya kung in the middle of the lecture e bigla kang nagsabi ng quotable quotes galing sa mga napanood mo noh? Ahahahahaha... Now, that would be classic!

Oy Thornbirds, lumalabas ang henerasyon ng nagsabi =) Tagal na nun a. Di ba si Clint Eastwood yung gumanap na pari? Pero haaay Pride and Prejudice, iyak ako nung pinapanood ko yan. May kopya ako nung libro na Sense and Sensibility ni Jane Austen din. Iniwan ko jan sa bahay natin sa Manila, binili ko nung may sale sa SIL. Di ko na maalala kwento, sus.

Classic? Hmmm, I liked Anne of Green Gables. Ewan ko kung may kopya pa din un ngayon. I watched it twice when I was in high school. Kakaiyak din un but I loved the ending. Hehehe... North and South din! Where have all those movies gone?

Pag mga libro, alam mo naman kung ano ang focus natin ngayon kaya wala akong suggestion. Panood nga ng Prison Break pag anjan ako. May kopya yung kapatid ko, sabi niya din maganda, kaso wala akong oras na panoorin when I was home.

Kausapin mo yung Church History teacher jan, si Sir Sunil, kasi fan yun ni Dostoyevsky. Meron siyang kinukwento nun na novel niya sa klase, di ko nga lang maalala.
Anonymous said…
I love "Pride and Prejudice." That story makes me fall-in-love over and over. Been doing a lot of reading myself - take care.
admindude said…
Actually, masaya sa Manila sapagkat pag umulan lang ng kaunti ay meron ng baha kaya walang pasok hehe. Sana umulan pa ng marami until December para maraming beses na walang pasok.

I remember reading Dostoevsky but I'm not sure if I read the Idiot, is that the character who killed his landlord?
Anonymous said…
Aba...may nang-ookray dito ah. Uy
Layad, baka tanggalin ni Ganda yong comment mo about henerasyon, hehehe....it was Richard Chamberlain who portrayed Father Ralph and not the gunslinger Clint Eastwood. Si Ganda nga eh, 1800's classic is what she reads, me, 1980's lang..Cheers and goodhealth.

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS