TWO WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS

Weew! This feels weird. I don't know what to write after a month of absence in the blogosphere.

A mentor from Australia dropped by my house on his way to Bontoc. Over breakfast, he asked me what have I been doing and I said: "Well, when I got back from Manila at the end of August, we went to a funeral of an uncle, then the next week, we prepared for the wedding of my brother. And then the third week, I was busy making wedding invitations for my cousin and then after that, my great grandfather passed away at 98 and so we attended a series of vigils until he was buried last Thursday, the 4th."

So yes, I realized that I did nothing the whole month of September but prepare for funerals and weddings except for the day when I was in the hospital with my sister. I doubt anyone likes being in a hospital even if just to watch over loved ones. With my past hospital experiences, you would think that I would be used to it at the least; the smell, the sense of illness all around, grumpy nurses, aids that ask nothing but how many times you emptied your kidneys or moved your bowels! I found out I am not immune. My youngest sister was rushed to the hospital for a suspected food poisoning. She had corned beef for breakfast and after half an hour she complained of severe abdominal pain and was retching her gut out. The stress in turn triggered her asthma. After she was stabilized, I took out my pc and tried to work. It was a bad idea. We were sandwiched in between a lady with a typhoid fever and another with a dengue and the mosquitoes were freely hopping around from skin to skin. I got so paranoid about the dengue that when I saw that my sister can manage to go to the bathroom on her own, I left her at a quarter and a half hour past 3 in the morning and walked home. That was a bit scary. It was a half hour walk under the shadows of big acacia trees. I guessed I feared the dengue mosquitoes more than the lurking shadows.

October came silently for me. My friends and I retreated to the mountains last weekend to fast and pray. It was a refreshing time both spiritually and physically. You should try it some time. :)

I learned that:

When you promised three year olds something, do it right away. My mom told my 3 year-old niece that she'll visit her the next day. When she saw her after a week, my niece came to her slowly and looking up, she, in all sweetness and innocence, said: "Adtoy met gayam ni lola, kunak no natay kan!" (Poor grandma, she almost had a heart attack upon hearing that:)

God has a sense of humor. My sister was on her last penny for the month so she has been praying so fervently. She had 7 pieces of 5 pesos coins and went to check if her stipend for the month is already in the bank. On the way, she told her friends that she misses the paper bills and would very much like to hold one in her hand. At the bank, they checked their balances and found out that the money is yet to be deposited. It's good that one of them has a 500-peso balance from the last month and they withdrew that. Her friend bought something on the way and happened to have no change. She borrowed Sarah's 5-peso coins. Back in the house, Sarah's friend returned her money. There was one 20-peso bill.

When you set ground rules for your children, make it a point to tell them what applies and does not apply to you. They expect you to obey all the rules yourself. Also, don't borrow money from your children. When I came back from Manila, I was gushing about Prison Break too much that my brother got curious and borrowed my DVD. He got hooked and watched it continuously taking only meal and CR breaks during one weekend. His 7 year old son Giel, for fun, is allowed to harvest ripe guavas instead of having his eyes glued to the TV screen all the time. He and his friends harvest guavas (sells at P3-5 a kilo) before and after school, and weekends. During that weekend, my sis in law took the change that my nephew earned that morning and replace it with a paper bill to buy a bundle of petchay. At lunch, Giel grumbled and said: "Hayyy, awan ti maitultulong ni daddy! Mangan, agbuya, omisbo, agbuya manen! Siyak ti agtartrabaho'd toy nga balay!"

Lastly, when blog readers and blogger friends ask you to write again, don't tell them to leave you alone! For all you know, your internet connection will also leave you (as in a lightning will hit your modem) until you repent of your sins! :) Take it from me.

Cheers!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Parang gusto ko ulit bumalik sa Oliweg nyan ah.

Nice one Giel...hehe.Oo nga naman...

Haynaku anlakas talaga ng tinamaan ng magaling na kidlat na un noh?..hehe

Good to hear from you again 'te.


FBI
Anonymous said…
HA HA HA HA HA won't forget Giel. one can have a lot of fun whoever is with him. he is thoughtful but can unleash a few words that can make you think! (i will let him read my letter to him in 2003 when he is old enough to understand). i was laughing because of what the little girl has said. i would not know how to react if i myself heard that from a niece at a very young age.

true! adults learn from the kids, only if they are willing.
Layad said…
Ahahahahahaha... Whew! I guess his father must have felt like lightning struck him after he heard those words from his son. Yes, children add so much spice to life with their wise remarks. Now, I miss my young cousins, nephews and nieces =(

It's nice to hear what you have been doing the past month, sis. Tinanong kita sa chat e di mo ako nasagot. Un pala e andito na. Lesson: wag ng mangulit sa chat; basahin na lang ang blog hehehehe...

Blessings! Ingat palagi.
Anonymous said…
Yeah, those lightning are listening so be an obedient blogger, hehe...
Nothing is more uplifting than to listen to these young ones comes up with the most sensible of things, it can floor you bigtime and find yourself giggling... It must be their guardian angels.
In contrast, have seen kids who are just foulmouthed, you just wonder who the hell are their respective parents! I heard one eight or nine years old sometime ago, talking to her friends about "french kiss". Yes! you guys heard me right...hehe.. She sure knows her destiny, circling the pole. Okay that's enough.
Welcome back and cheers to all....
G said…
hi djin, we did not go to Oliweg after all. Pumalpak kase yung carabao fx ni Norman so we had to change our venue so Norman could come.

Yeah, Giel can be really funny. :)

halo UB na pinoy! hehe, namahig niti ngikngik nonta inistoryan Manong tep pati konoh manong men kahin-eheeheli ay, "Tam nak kaman-oblad Kayapa? Diman i nanglaan mamim ni intomgel tayod bagah! Pitsay ngon aboh i tinomgal mo ey!"

ei sis, yeah, his dad became quite defensive daw. Di pala kita sinagot? Well, di ko intensiyon to imply na magbasa ka na lang ng blog. hehe

hey sir tru, yeah, I seemed to have learned my lesson the hard way; as in kidlat talaga! :)

Hah! French kiss? Di ko nga alam kung ano yun 'til I saw Meg Ryan's movie eh! (Hehehe) and a 9 yr old is talking about it? Wow, what happened to our world na? hehe, sabay sineryoso 'noh?

Thanks for the welcome! Let's hope i'll be a good blogger again.

God blez! :)
admindude said…
Good for those kids :-)I understand the dad though. I bought a season of Friends because it was on sale, got hooked by the humor, so I bought more seasons, and spent endless days watching them. Buti na lang walang bata to criticize me hehe.
G said…
hi Bil, you actually have original copies of friends? Huyyy, pahiram!!! Cge na... :)
admindude said…
yup. but these are vcd copies baka pang dvd ka hehe. saka ayoko ding ipahiram ksai baka hind bumalik hehe
G said…
ayy, kadamot! LOL

kahit ano, dvd or vcd basta mayat nga mabuya! Pero sige wag na lang. damot nito!!! huhuhuhu

hehe
abella said…
bb,
sir, mahirap ngang magpahiram. sinabi nyo pa! kung minsan, ikaw pang nagpahiram ang mahihiyang magpahiram:(

pero ok si g pahiraman, maingat, maalaga sa gamit yan.... tsaka may pruweba.... kasi bumalik naman yung akin!

lol!!!

peace!
admindude said…
Hehe, hindi naman ako madamot. Just speaking from experience lang. Truth is I also tend not to return VCDs I borrowed hehe. Para siyang pocketbook noon na pag pinahiram mo ay it's best to not hope that it will be returned. Ipagdasal na lang that the borrower will lend it to others so that others will benefit. Hehehe. Saka, how will you borrow it eh you are ni NV.

Cheers.
Anonymous said…
Interesting September! For me, it's been a combination of work, work, and more work. At one point, I think my laziness finally set in and I didn't have the drive to write any blog entries. I miss everyone's blog though. Take care sis.
G said…
hi bill, well, nagkamali ka ng pinagsabihan, dahil ako kahit alikabok ng sapatos na ipinasok sa bahay ko, binabalik ko... hehehe

andali kaya nun! anong ginagawa ni fbi... pustahan tayo, pag nabasa nun ito, mas mauuna pa yun sa'kin manghiram! :)

o siya sige na, di na po kayo madamot! sabagay, may ebidensiya nga naman...

hi sis,
thanks sa pagbalik mo ha.., i know first hand what you mean when you said 'no drive to blog.' I felt like that this last month. :)

God blez you. ingatsky lagi.
Fongakhan said…
Nyahahahaha... Hiramin mo ung vcds ni Sir B, sis, at pag mapunta ako jan sa inyo, panoorin natin.

Ay na, lazy din ako to blog. I was in a three-night lecture series of Dr. Vinnoth Ramachandra, and his thoughts were so brilliant that I wanted to blog about it pero, hay na, sadot lattan.

Ingat palagi, sis. Blessings!
Anonymous said…
sir B, pabolod man ngarod jay vcd ti friends..hehe..pangbaram nga umay mangbisita ken dakami d2y proj. 7...hehe..awan nga lang ti makan =) danom lang nga nalammiis ti maioffer ko..lolz...

wehehe..tinotoo talaga ung gatong ni te ganda noh?...


FBI

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS