thanatos

Thanatos, I learned from my Greek vocabulary last week, means death. You're familiar with Thanatology of course--a term derived from two Greek words 'thanatos' and 'logos', which means the study of death.

I don't know why this week, I have been kind of obsessing with death. I jokingly told my husband that when I die, and he wants to marry again, he cannot and should not marry another Igorota.

In one of my classes, a professor said that everyone she knows whose about to die kind of know that their time is near. I don't know how, but the expert said, intuitively they know. (I don't know if even those who are killed by tragic accidents had some sort of a premonition about their impending death.) Anyway, my recent brush with death has reminded me so strongly of my mortality. It had me thinking and made me write my last will and testament. Well, my will includes the selection of songs to play during my wake, what the living should do (e.g. try to have more laughter instead of tears, no assorted cookies to be served during my wake--suman na lang, di kaya eh patupat:), and who is authorized to go into my files, and what should be done about the stuff I wrote in and about Kalanguya, and who should continue all the other things that I've been working on; where to find the passwords for my files, and a few other petty instructions. What a Will! Oh, I did include names of people who should get my books. Hehe, kase ba, books are the only penny to my name.

A friend wrote me a poem in appreciation of what this friend calls the amazing wonders of G's existence. I cannot help myself but think that the poem is really a eulogy for me. Old friends from college, grade school, and even former enemies are dropping by my friendster page in swarms and hordes saying thank you and sorry for some deeds done years ago.

So I was thinking, why is this happening? Is my time near?

Well, it does not matter to me really... it would be grand to go home at last, but it would be devastating for my Best... hehe

The ancient Egyptians prepare for death very meticulously especially the death and burial of their pharaoh. They believe that if the Pharaoh is prepared and buried the correct way, all of his people will be okay when their appointment with death comes. They bury the dead with his riches, food, and some even said, his servants. They have pyramids because they believe that these structures are a way to make sure that their Pharaoh reaches the stars where he would be among the gods who will protect and save the people from every harm.

Even if I don't die soon, I think it is good to reflect on death and be reminded of one's mortality every once in a while. It makes one look at his/her life to see if s/he is living a life worthy of leaving behind. As it is, we are not remembered for who we are, but rather for what we have done. So I guessed, it would be good for everyone to seek the 'pyramid' and when found, to build on it while still alive.

Comments

Kayni said…
Hello Sis, There are times I think of death most often than other days. I don't know why...maybe because I'm scared. But to think that some people before us did prepare before death is something I am amazed of. If I knew I was going to die, I'd probably think of ways to avoid or stop it. I like patupat =)...lol.
lovelyn said…
Those who do their will early will live longer.

When my mom died (it was a sudden death), lots of the things she said days before were later realized that she knew she's going to die. 'Manpar-parikna' as we call it.

What did your husband say about not marrying another Igorota? Every time I tell my husband, "if I'll die...", he gets angry. Maybe he is scared of being left on his own "forever" with the kids hehehe...they'll rule him.
Layad said…
Ur best wouldn't be the only one devastated, sis :( I'm ur ka'pusod', remember? Sigh...

We went to a talk of D. A. Carson recently, and he was talking about suffering and evil. The nature of the topic entails him to talk about death, and he mentioned that Christians before (hindi na raw ngayon) were thought of as people who die well. I guess because even though they may be afraid, they know that death is not and will never be the last word.

It sort of got me thinking as well: how we can get so immersed in this world, when eternity is just as real.

Thanks for this post, sis. It's a good reminder. Anyway, u never know, I may go first hehehe... Too bad, I haven't prepared my last will and testament, and no time to do it during this time :D
Andreas Pilipus said…
A good posting!

In my college, those taking the subject "Pastoral Care in Crisis" are supposed to design a liturgy for their funeral services. I think it is indeed a good exercise to, as you say, remind ourselves about our mortality.

You mention that we are not remembered for who we are, but for what we have done. I'm just thinking: Is "to be remembered" our goal in our lives? What if God calls us to be someone whom no one will remember and to do something which not many people will appreciate?
abella said…
I remember writing one too five years ago. Wala nga lang password kasi hard copy:) Oh yes....it is often good to remember how short our life is. I was shock to know that my former Grade I teacher had a stroke and died the other day. I went out to buy something eh ang bungad na sinabi sa akin ay patay na raw. Death comes like a thief but is is good to be prepared before that comes.

Kaya, we have to train people bago tayo magsipanaw par may maiwanan tayong mangunguna sa mga susunod na henerasyon pa.
G said…
hello sis K, yes, the mystery of death makes us either fearful or amazed of it. So donate ka ng patupat pag namatay ako ha.. LOL

hello lovelyn, hehe, same thing with my husband, he won't promise me to not marry an igorot girl, para daw di ako mamatay. ano kaya yun? :)

hei layadsky, "...when eternity is just real.." korek ka jan! puro kase yata tayo myopic, we don't see beyond this life.
G said…
hello Andreas, thanks for coming by and leaving your comment.

You commented: Is "to be remembered" our goal in our lives? What if God calls us to be someone whom no one will remember and to do something which not many people will appreciate?

If you read it again, i did not say that to be remembered is the goal of our life. Mine is just an observation of reality. If we want to find a goal from what I have written, it would be the part that says, "find the 'pyramid', and when found, build on it." Of course you get my meaning of the analogy.? Cheers!
G said…
Halo lolo abella :) Hanep naman sa "...bago tayo magsipanaw.." eh! pero tama ka, kaya nga ba bilisan na nating ang ating mga plano para sa masa! Hayy, di ko maiwasasng itanong why we put this burden on our own shoulders... heheh, ang tanong, tayo nga ba ang naglagay nito? Mukhang hindi no?

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS