UNBELIEVABLE!

UN-FREAKIN'-BELIEVABLE!!! That's how the fandom of Twilight would say it!

I should have listened to wits and nuts when she advised me to not start reading Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga unless I really have free time in my hands. Well, I was just gonna take a tiny peek on the first chapter but when I started reading, there was just no way I could put it down until after three days later when I read all the books; I mean that's not even surprising, what with the obsessive grip of books on me (yes, blame the books:) but you see, the story was something I would have enjoyed reading in late high school or maybe early college but 'goodness, did I read for days on end, all four books and the first 12 chapters of the fifth book (Midnight Sun) which I accidentally stumbled into while checking out the author's site! And then after I gobbled down all the books, I flipped the pages again and again to read my favorite parts; not yet satisfied, I went online and checked out some of the video clips, interviews and fansites which are all over the place.

It must have been the writing of Stephenie Meyer. If you google the titles or her name, and the upcoming movie based on Book 1, you'll see the craze. It seems that all the young people worldwide are into it, although of course they are divided in their loyalties; some swoon over the supposed beauty of the male vampire protagonist, while some prefers the werewolf best friend of the mortal girl. So since I am an adult with an image of mature, serious, mellowed grown-up to maintain (haha), I'm keeping myself from gushing about it. But like what Catherine Hardwicke (Director of the movie) said in her interviews (yes, I've even seen all the youtube stuff about the movie that's coming out in Nov 21 and yes, I'm planning to see that too!), we still have the young girl in us that is drawn to these 'impossible' love stories, although of course, the grown-up in me would say that the simplicity and funny sarcasm of S. Meyer's approach to the dialogues is the magnet that pulled me to it, because these components made the story very refreshing even if it was written for adolescents and early adult girls.

The plot is not unusual, and the conflicts are actually very straightforward. But for some reason, a story about a century old vampire preserved in a 17-yr old boy's good looks who fell in love with an 18-yr old mortal, plus a werewolf for a rival was very appealing. So yes, I am not ashamed to admit that I have been possessed by the Twilight saga demon/vampire/angel last weekend and even a few days after, and I am writing this blog entry to have a closure (hopefully). I actually asked a friend to buy me a collector's copy of the series (I saw one in ebay:), so my daughter (if I ever have one in the near future) may read it someday.

My little sister knew how I can't afford to be using (note: I didn't say wasting:) my time on reading fictions when I have loads of required readings to do on my courses. So she would eye me weird every time she comes to my room and see me in bed still reading about vegetarian vampires. I told her at one time that the story can actually be understood allegorically. Of course, at that time, it was just a conjecture of which I was hoping to find evidence as I go deeper into the story. I was not disappointed; the very last book 'breaking dawn' has a part about the Volturi vampires and their somewhat dictatorial rule that mirrors many societies in our world today, although of course that might just be me attempting to find excuses for my irresponsible, obsessive-compulsive reading. Hayyyy!

Yup, that's what I did--read the Twilight series from twilight to dawn last Friday and same thing happened the next day, and the next! And the result was extreme pressure on me for being really really behind schedule with my school work. Oh, well, at least I was able to escape the oppressing paperwork for a little while! Sorry to some of the people in my YM and Skype who messaged me but were only able to get "hehe, ok, haha, hmm, etc." Now you know. :)

Cheers, everyone!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ahahaha... May confession din ako; naaddict din ako sa Pet Society sa Facebook. Ang pangalan ng pet ko is Fatawa "world"; Batawa for Kankanaey. Ewan; kasla ak nagrebelde sika :D

Hayyy, sa dami ng mga kelangang asikasuhin ano? God help us.
Kayni said…
oh dear, you've fallen into temptation...lol. will you tell me the story...please.
abella said…
I would have peeked to your room too and say...requirements!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha...


nagconfess tuloy si layad:( ha ha ha

teka layad, ano yun? ako naadict sa online scrabble. inintroduce kasi ni g.... ha ha ha nanisi pa ah:(

basta matapos ninyo requirements ninyo mga kapatid! sige kayo di kayo magiging consultant:(

cheers ladta ah nga kuna ni tb!
This "Twilight" has been in my hands month ago. But after knowing that a vampire completes the character I lost interest to go with it.

But the way you intoduced it looks like a must read book.
Wil said…
I just watched the movie. It's pretty entertaining. There's some pretty funny scenes. I was surprised by it. Now I know why jacob was a little angry with edward in the last scene... rival pala sya. hehe

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS