of gods and idols

#RANTS #MCAI  

So when I heard that GMA was doing a reimagination of Rizal's Noli Me Tangere, I binge-watched the whole thing (ep1-15)  and saw each succeeding episode daily thereafter. It has been mostly fun until it wasn't, at least for me.  I feel like the showrunners are bowing down too much to the pressure of fans. 

I don't care much about the ships, in fact anyone can end up with anywho and I'd be fine with it, even happy, although if I am honest, I do not see/feel/hear any chemistry between the book Ibarra and the book MC as acted in the series; heck there is even more chemistry between the two Maria Claras when they are together in a scene compared to the supposed couple.  The chemistry between Klay and Fidel is undeniable, yes. Yet the chemistry between Klay and Ibarra is definitely palpable.  I wonder if this was done deliberately, na sinadya nilang walang chemistry si Dennis at Julie Anne? Like do you feel anything when they call each other "irog ko"?  Honestly I cringe most of the time.  It is not because the term of endearment is so archaic, no!  Rather, it's that I feel  like deep inside, the actors themselves cringe as well every time they say it😁...maybe, it's just me, but no matter how I force myself to feel them, I can't.  So regarding the ships, I don't really have strong feelings.  

But I do care a lot about consistency in the characters' personality and I also wish for some character development even a tiny tiny bit in each episode lalo na sa mga bida.  I understand they cannot show much substance in one episode given the time allotted for each one, which is very short.  But they usually show a little movement in the story and then the rest is basically fluff.  Ilang episodes na kase na bida ang jealousy/self-pity/self-doubt ni MC, and no one is better for it. I understand she's got the right circumstances to feel all that negative emotions, but did they have to write her character na ganoon, parang pabalik-balik, di makadesisyon kung strong MC ba siya or flailing MC na laging kailangang insecure pagdating kay Ibarra at walang tiwala sa sarili?  Mature siya sa previous scenes like she took the initiative na dalawin ang lalaki twice, then to make her man give up his friend and make that friend live with her convincing him and her that it was the best thing for the friend but in reality there is a little bit of subterfuge and a hidden agenda on her part, then she rebuked her friends for their bad attitude towards her guest/muchacha, she read a book other than the Bible after she heard an earful from her namesake, reflected on the idea of an invisible rehas that's been keeping her imprisoned, etc., those are all strong actions indicating her growing maturity as a person and showing that she's paying attention to the new ideas put forward before her... then the next scene na halos pareho lang ang sitwasyon, balik na naman sa dati ang ugali niya, naging paawa at insecure fiance na naman siya.  Mabuti yung pinapakita sa audience yung struggle niya in how she grapples with the newness of Klay's ideas and everything that Klay brings to the table but sana when it comes to the things na established na sa previous episodes na strong siya like her place in her relationship with Ibarra or things and circumstances in which she's gaining maturity, panatilihin sana siyang strong or growing in maturity sa aspeto na iyon.  

Mas consistent sana sa personality niya kung ang conflict ng pagkaawa niya sa sarili niya at selos niya dahil wala siyang nagawa para kay Ibarra sa pagkalunod nito was not for her to go to Ibarra and express her insecurities agad, sa halip ay pinakita sana na sinarili muna niya ang emosyon niya at ipakita siya sa isang scene where she is struggling with it or she's fighting her self-pity or jealousy and struggling all by herself muna, and show her na nag-iisip ng way on how to deal or at least come to her senses and deal with the situation na di kailangang i-assure na naman (paulit-ulit na kase, nakakatorete na) siya ni Ibarra, or some other way to show this (I am sure the writers can think of a better idea than the one I came up with), rather than magpaawa kaagad siya sa taong kanina lang eh nasa bingit ng kamatayan ang buhay and make the usapan about herself and her insecurity when at that point in time it should be all about how grateful she is that walang masamang nangyari sa mahal niya sa araw na iyon.  Kaya lang ang nangyari, she made the situation about herself, and di pa nga nakahinga masyado ang nalunod, kinailangan na namang magbigay siya ng assurance sa gf niya and be forced to label an undetermined but important human relationship (friendship) of his into a 'tapat "lamang" na kaibigan'.   It is so unMariaClara-like in my thinking.  Medyo narcissistic tuloy ang arrive niya. It would be nice to see na by stages and not come-and-go yung development ni MC if they want us to be a part of her struggle.. hindi yung okay na ang reaksiyon niya kanina, tapos bukas balik na naman siya sa dating MC na parang walang natutunan kay Klay o sa mga nakaraang pangyayari.  Sa halip kase na makuha niya simpatiya ko sa pinagdaraanan niya eh, nafoforward ko mga eksena niya.  I mean an actor is good if s/he evokes strong emotions from a viewer but it should not be too  strong to the point na ayaw mo na siyang panoorin dahil di mo na masimpatyahan yung tauhan sa kuwento.  Now, si Ibarra  naman__ he is supposed to be a man's man, but he hasn't been acting like that lately at least in this last two episodes when it comes to the main character.  Okay, the alligator rescue was great but that was an emergency reaction.  His real strength would be more manifest if it happens in the little things like how he deals with the struggle between the two Maria Claras in his life.  Para kaseng ang nangyari eh nagpa-under na lang sa kapritso ng isa at hinayaan na lang ang isa to fend for herself.  Yung idea ni Klay na equality na pinangako ni Ibarra kay MC na iaapply niya kay MC is no longer true, parang his actions are geared towards pleasing na lang si MC and I do not see much of the admirable Ibarra anymore pag kaharap na niya si MC. 

I don't know why I am so invested in whether the characters have consistency or whatever..  I understand na nakikinood lang ako ng produkto ng talents ng maraming tao, and I appreciate them all, it's just that the showrunners have shown some characters in a particular way in earlier episodes that I hope they don't lose but rather maintain and improve these core personalities of these characters as the story moves along.  I used to be so excited waiting for each installment every weekday but in the last few episodes, not so much. I decided to just watch  once a week (Friday night) so I can get the whole week in one go, and get stressed out once only in case there are any let downs like the ones I ranted about above.

At the end of the day, I am thankful for this Filipino series. It has been years since I got very interested and invested in a local serye. #ThankYouGMA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS