2Samuel 18 and Sarit Hadad's Song

This past week, I have been peer-checking my sister's draft of 2Samuel. Last Friday, I was reading Chapter 18. I easily get distracted so I took a headphone and listen to music while checking. (There were five of us in our small office and so it can get really distracting at times. :)

You would remember that Chapter 18 is about the death of Absalom. Before going into battle, King David commanded his soldiers to spare Absalom's life even if he rebelled against his father and even wanted to oust his father, the king. We all know the sad story... how the king, the father, wept bitterly for his son who was murdered by his own general. While reading this, I was listening to the Hebrew Song "SHEMA ISRAEL" sung by Sarit Hadad, a multi-awarded Israeli singer. Suddenly I begun to cry like I was there. I cannot help myself but feel for David and the pain of losing a child whom he hasn't spoken to for the last few years. I know it is terrible to lose a child but probably much more terrible knowing that it was your undoing... that you as a parent has failed in one way or another resulting to the lost.

Anyway, here's the song, a very beautiful song, that I cannot get out of my head until now. For those of you who are interested, you can check Sarit Hadad at www.sarit-hadad.com. You will notice that the English translation is pretty wooden... :)


SHMA ELOHAI
(HEAR, MY GOD)


Ksheh halev bocheh rak elohim shome'a
When the heart cries only God hears
Hake'ev ole mitokh haneshama
The pain rises out of the soul
Adam nofel lifnei shehu shoke'a
A man falls down before he sinks down
Bitfilak’tana chotekh et hadmama.
With a little prayer (he) cuts the silence

Shma Israel elohai ata hakol yakhol
Hear Israel my God you're the omnipotent
Natata li et chayay natata li hakol
You gave me my life, you gave me everything
Be'enai dim'a halev bokhe besheket
In my eyes a tear,the heart cries quietly
Ukhshe halev shotek haneshama zo'eket.
And when the heart is quiet, the soul screams

Shma Israel elohai akhshav ani levad
Hear Israel, my God, now I am alone
Chazek oti elohai aseh shelo efchad
Make me strong my God, make it that I won't be afraid
Hake'ev gadol ve'ein le'an livro'ach
The pain is big, and there's nowhere to run away
Ase sheyigamer ki lo notar bi ko'ach
End it because I can't take it anymore
(make the end of it because I have no more energy left within me)

Kshe halev bokhe, hazman omed milekhet
When the heart cries,time stands still
Ha'adam ro'eh et kol chayav pitom
All of a sudden, the man sees his entire life
El halo noda hu lo rotze lalekhet
He doesn't want to go to the unknown
Le'elohav kore al saf tehom.
He cries to his God right before a big fall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS