KALANGUYA TRUE STORIES

Some anecdotes from this side of town. I'm not trying to proclaim some of my people's ignorance. It's the reality and I think some of it is really funny, not to mention that it has something to do with linguistics ... :)

1. Along a street in Bambang,
Ilocano young lady: “Hi Bong!”
Kalanguya young man named Bongtan replied shyly: “Eyye ngo!” (No, it’s not me!)


2. At a certain clinic in Bambang.
Doctor: Ano po ang sakit natin?
Kalanguya patient: Uyek natin doctor! Hehehe, hiyaman anhan to-wa ay timagalog! ("Hehehe, makatagalog naman tayo paminsanminsan." For those who don't understand Ilocano, "Uyek is Ilocano for coughing. So actually, the patient isn't speaking Tagalog, tho he thought he was. :)

3. In a Barangay Health Center, a man was complaining to the midwife that the contraceptive pills she gave were not effective because his wife got pregnant.
Midwife: Anto dadan ay ag yo inonod hota inhel ko? (Might it be that you did not follow my instructions?)
Taday: (Angrily) Eyye, nilangboh ko met ni amin! (What? No, in fact I’ve used up all of the pills.)

4. During a road construction to Nansiakan, a back hoe was used and so it was always mentioned with the bulldozer. An old woman in the far flung village of Balong said:
“Ala kayo pa ngo li nonta backhoe a, at namtan.” ("Would you buy some back hoe, so I’ll taste it." She thought it’s another brand of canned sardines.)
.
5. Third day of a Medical Mission in a remote village:
Doctor: Anya manen problema yo manong? (It's you again. What is your problem?)
Patient: Marigatanak nga umanges, Doktora. Tinumar ko met jay agas nga inted yo idi Lunes nga usarek. (I have difficulty of breathing, doctor. But I did take all the medicines you gave last Monday.)
Doctor: Anya nga agas ajay? ("What medicine was that?" Patient showed the doctor two empty packets of a medicine with 10 capsules each). Apay inibus yo aya? Ket kunak nga mamintalo ti maysa aldaw koma daytoy. ("Why? You mean you've taken it all? That should be taken three times a day.")
Patient: Ket inibus ko ah! Kuna yo met nga agtumarak kada malpasak nga mangan! (Well, yes I did! You said I'll take one every after I eat.) Kalangoyans usually have three meals a day. I don't know why this man seemed to have eaten more than 5 meals per day.) lol
.
.
6. At an elementary school in a certain barangay in Kayapa.
Teacher: Elsie, maupo ka ng matuwid!
Lydia: (Called Elsie’s attention and said:), “Elsie, towid ka konon usto!” (Elsie, teacher said, You 'towid' all the way!" [“Towid” is a Kalanguya word meaning to bend forward from the waist with your bottom protruding behind you. Tagalog: tuwad])
.
.
7. A Kalanguya old man was about to board a bus to Tuguegarao. (I like this best!)
Bus Driver: Papanan yo ‘tang? (Where are you going?)
Kalanguya Old man: “Dita uneg!” (There inside.)

Comments

admindude said…
Oh my God, I almost chocked laughing. Keep it coming!!!
G said…
hehehe... i'm glad! I'll post as they come. :)
The Nashman said…
I used to speak Kalanguya when I was a child because one of my playmates spoke it. Sadly, I've lost the language.
G said…
hi nashman,
hmm, too bad! I can give you a refresher... hehe :)

...thanks for dropping by
Unknown said…
Oh my! Iloveit!😍😍😍😍 More more more!!

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS