BIRTHDAY CAKE AT 30





Sorry everyone, I still can't get over the fact that I am now thirty... ehehehe... Well, not really, drama lang yan! Pasakalye lang. What I really wanted to do is to look beyond everything that is happening right now in my family, my clan, my church, my life and in my head and in my hypothalamus (the seat of temperature and emotions-is that right?) and appreciate the people who has played major parts in the story of my life. No, I'm not gonna talk about the people who kept me from taking drugs in my teenage years (not that somebody did or that I tried to) or from killing myself, or who helped me make a major decision in life. No, not that kind of major role players, but those people who did something that they thought ordinary but has made you want to hug them and cry. There are quite a few people in my life who fall on this category. I'll start with last Saturday during my birthday 'party.' But before that, let me give you a bit of a context.

When I was growing up, the culture I was brought up in is not really keen on celebrating personal events except for marriages and deaths so birthday celebrations were very rare in those days so I grew up not really caring if nobody greets me during my birthday. In high school, they list everybody's birthday on a corner in the classroom and your classmates gets to sing for you during your birthday. If you're lucky and have a boyfriend or some barkadas, you'd get a nice card, at least that's what seemed to have happened. In college, when I turned 18 (that was when they hanged Flor Contemplacion in Singapore), my cousin, who's also my housemate at that time bought me a cake and an ice cream. That was my first brithday cake (cuz it has my name on it.) There were only the two of us in our room but I don't remember anymore if we finished the cake and ice cream all by ourselves. Well, I'm fairly sure, we did! My second was when friends of mine threw a surprise bash for me two years ago and they bought me a Goldilocks cake. That was really nice.

All that to say that I got my first real (as in personally baked) cake when I turned thirty and that was last Saturday. I therefore want the person who made my 30th birthday cake know that I really appreciate what she did not to mention that the cake was ohh sooooo yummy! I'm glad I was able to keep myself from ... thankfully my mind was a bit fried that day and so all I can think of is how delicious the cake and the ice cream is and not how I felt like crying for feeling special being thirty and all and yet have a cake specially baked for me. Well, I guess some people would find this corny,and yes, my reaction is probably brought about by the fact that I never had anyone bake me a birthday cake in my younger years, but still, I want 'you' to know that that is one of the most kindest (is that even grammatical? it's not, but I need a super superlative) thing anyone has ever done for me... and therefore it is very very precious to me. Thank you so so sooooo much.

ps. TY for not putting candles on the cake... it's good you didn't know how old I am before then.  












Comments

sarah Pido said…
Wew...blown away by the truth of this entry :-) "We are blessed" is all that I can say :-)
Jean B said…
So sweet naman! At least somebody baked u a cake, d bah? (better late than never???)

I saw pictures of my b-day celebs when I was younger (wehehe...) but I can not remember them (nyaay!). I also had a bday when I turned 18 (kasama mga classmates ko). I was the one who gave a party when I turned 21 (este nanay ko pala,..loz). Well, I guess my best bday ever was when I turned 25 and we had a celebration with my hauzmates (d2 sa QC). Well, so much with bdays..wehehe...
Margie Lumawan said…
oo nga eh! ang sweet noh? parang ung cake... :)
Ang ganda ng cake! Nakakaaliw! Hmm... Birthdays have always been special dates for me. That's why I don't forget to greet people on their birthdays hehehehe...
Margie Lumawan said…
good for you! :)
Neil Nedrow said…
I'm glad that you had such a special birthday. Here in the US, birthdays are always greatly celebrated, especially when we are young. My most memorable was my 51st birthday. My wife was ill and on oxygen, so she never left the house. But she did that day with my mother's help and bought a huge cake at the store. Usually, she would make a cake, but she wasn't up to it. It was just the two of us that Friday, and she made my favorite supper and then surprised me with the cake. It was a very pleasant time. I'll always thank God for that memory. The next saturday she had a lung biopsy, and the Friday after that she died. So God blessed me with this special time. And it's wonderful to know she is with the Lord. Also, I assume I will see you in a little over a week as I travel to my daughter's wedding - Esther Nedrow to Bagly Arsenio. See you then. Neil
Margie Lumawan said…
Hi, thank you for dropping by my blog and thank you for sharing your very beautiful birthday experience. We (family of Bagly Arsenio) are looking forward to meeting you. So please allow me (even in advanced) to say "Welcome to the Philippines and Welcome to the Family"... :) That's how it is with us! Your daughter will not just be married to Bob but she and her family will also become a part of a biggggg i I mean BIGGGGG clan. :)
gayle ligmayo said…
ate marj...kakainggit poh nung cake na yon ah.(hehehe)..impenemnem toy kadaydayo a nontan di abong ni adom nem waday mambday,.koyenet mango agka mabalin ni mambihkik tep hakey ni brgy i pakanam mo...hehehe,andi at kaymango law ni haya....kapus i siping..

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS