CAMOTE: An emblem of the Kalanguya

The sweet potato, nationally known as camote, and locally called obi is an emblem of Kalanguyaness. It was a staple food for the Kalanguyas even decades before upland rice came into the picture. It has kept alive generations and generations of Kalanguya particularly those who settled in the mountainous regions of the eastern part of the municipality of Kayapa. I have a theory that people who eats more camote live longer lives. :) See, all my grandparents and my great grandparents lived to more than a hundred. :)

Why in the world am I writing about this strange-looking root crop? I don't know. It's just that when I bent down yesterday at my 'spice basket' to get some garlic for my neighbor, I saw a camote with my onions, ginger and other spices in my kitchen with young green leaves growing from it. So I took a cam and snapped a pic of it. It is a testimony that I have not been cooking for the last two months or so. I was busy (kano!:) Anyway, I thought I'd let the leaves grow more (inggana mabalin to nga masida diyay uggot na, hehehe) so I put it in my flower basket. Yun na!

Camote has many varieties, at least I know of some ten by name, maybe more if I see the leaves, but I only have 3 or 4 favorites. We Kalanguyas call them manila (deep yellow variety), bitnakan (red skin but white flesh and a deep white in the center) and very sweet, gihhey (this is the variety that can be kept for weeks so that when you cook it, the flesh is very mushy but very sugary), and the last one is the tinappay, which doe snot really taste as good as the first three than I mentioned. I only like it because of its color. It has a deep maroon skin, white outer flesh and layers of purple and pink in the middle.

What can you do with a camote? For us Kalanguyas, there are four ways to cook it: 1) Kaioggan, 2) Kailo-mog, 3) Kaitabak, 4) Kaidamdam, 5) Camote Q:). The usual is to peel it and boil it (Kaioggan!). Do not put too much water or else you will lose its nice texture. It will become too mushy and bland to the taste. You can also boil it without peeling it first (Kailo-mog!). When we were little, we use to put big camotes in a boiling couldron when we cook pig food i.e. the gabi. Somehow, something about the gabi reacts with the camote that results to a funny taste and smell in the camote; a strange but nice taste to the camote (Kaitabak). You can also grill it. We used to do this too in grade school, when we escape from our classes to go skinny dipping in a river nearby. Lastly, you can peel the camote, cut it up in regular pieces, deep fry, tuhugin ng kawayan :). (You can make a syrup too and dip the fried camote in the syrup kung gusto mo ng matamis.)

Health Benefits:

Camote is fibrous, it is therefore a good laxative. (That's why people call it a 'bomb.' :) So be advised not to eat camote if you're goin' on a date. :)

Comments

Wil said…
Miss ko na ang camote. Wala yan dito sa states. The closest we have here is the potato. I think my mom boils camote without peeling. Sarap!
Anonymous said…
Yaraay...en-amis. Yummy! Yum! YUm...lolz,,,

FBI
G said…
hi wil,
Lol, nakuh! kaya nga ba ayokong pumunta jan eh! hehe, kase alang kamote.. lolz.. salamat

oi, miss fbi... ag mengan i Ibadoy ni dokto, ombogsot kono! ehehehe
JMom said…
Merong camote sa states! sweet potato nga lang ang tawag nila, and of course not as good as our native kamote nor as varied. But if you are without, pwede na rin :) I plant kamote in my garden every year not for the tubers, but for the greens. Sarap ng kamote salad with bagoong and kamatis.
G said…
hi jmom,
ay talaga meron din? Baka wal dun kina Wil, :p.. yah, sarap din nung talbos. Pwede rin soy sauce and vinegar, paminta at konting salt at sugar. yun ang pinakagusto kong dressing niya, basta banlian lang ng mainit na tubig yung camote tops... plus sibuyas at kamatis na rin..

salamat po for dropping by... come again po
Unknown said…
..ay haman gayam manang?...ekhak amta itan ah..baka aliva iren Ibadoy...wahehe...si-khato met sahey jen inbadeg ko...nyahaha...sota eshom a..basta aliwen jen medokonan ah..


FBI
Layad said…
Gusto ko ung comment sa health benefits: Wag kumain ng camote kapag may date nyahahahaha... All-time fave naman ang camote. I like camote cue better than banana cue. Nice thoughts, sis!
admindude said…
You can also make "sabeng" out of camote. I forgot na how to do it but I think you put yeast yata and let it stand for some time (I dont know how long) and then eventually drink the juice. It is a very good drink (medyo sour ang taste) for these hot summer months.
G said…
oi 'ding! Buti naman kung ganun! Magkaiba talaga ang NV Ibadoy at kayong mga taga Benguet. I like you Benguet Ibs better! hehehe pwera sipsip!

Halo layad, talaga? you prefer kamote Q? Nakuh, all the more the dapat pumunta ka d2 sa bahay dahil may tinago si ermat na gabundok dun sa kusina niya! Pwede mo iuwi at naaalibadbaran na akong nakikita yun! lol

hey Bil, yah, my younger brother used to do that when he's still in elementary. we call it "habeng" (i told you, no S 4 us Kalanguyas:)and I like it when it's sweet but mostly sour siya (kaya nga sabeng eh!) lol. It's like a 'camote tapey/tapoy' di ba?
Anonymous said…
Wahaha...wala lang nakita ko kasing nakadisplay pa ung 'camote' na nadisplay sa entry na 'to. Naging dekorasyon..in fairness bagay naman dun s apwesto niya..lolz....



FBI
Jack CariƱo said…
Camote daw has a kind of enzyme that is good for memory retention, in fact, a tablet sells well among law students at UP Diliman.

Kaya siguro ang mga taga Cordillera ay matatalino and the old people have long quality life.

Jack & Chi
Publishers
Baguio City YEARBOOK, Travelers Guidebook, Cordillera Geographic
http://www.jackcarino.multiply.com
G said…
hello po Sir, :)

thank you for dropping by my site.

hmm, enzyme that inhibits forgetfulness, that's amazing! and to think na sa ordinaryong kamote lang pala matatagpuan.

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS