A WEDDING & A FALL

I am back in Luzon. (In Mindanao, they don't refer to me as "TAGA-NUEVA VIZCAYA" instead they say, TAGA-LUZON. The first few times that I heard it, it doesn't sound like they are talking about me. It sounds strange, then I got used to it:) [If you know what I mean.]

May 10th Wedding Day: Many people came to the house and the wedding feast started. Walang katinigilang supply ng lechon at kung anu-anong pagkain. There were so much food that I lost my appetite so I did not eat at breakfast and lunch. The wedding of my sister in law was scheduled at 4PM at a resort nearby. Although the colors were too bright for my taste, they were cute: Fuschia for the the maids and the table and chair clothes accented with a sayote green banners.


The Bride, her two sisters, and friends.

May 12th, Saturday The whole family packed a few things to go some place called Lakewood in Zamboanga del Sur. By that day, I am pretty bored because I spent the whole day of May 11th in bed watching movies from a single DVD while the rest of the people in the hauz went swimming at a pool nearby. I didn't go because, nothing... I just didn't feel like going.

Anyway, so off we went. We traveled by jeep the first hour then hired 5 motorbikes the rest of the way. All four bikes have two passenger each but they put me alone in one bike because... you guessed it... I'm a big girl! The first few kms of the road was not that bad, some parts are paved, some only have tire paths, some just gravel. The last 1km was tough. It was uphill, a bit muddy and there were practically 'boulders' in the middle of the road. It's supposed to be gravel but I don't know, maybe the driver of the truck who worked on that part of the road was visually challenged kaya maliliit ang tingin niya dun sa pagkalalaking batong ibinuhos dun.

The last thing I knew was that I wasn't holding on to something solid anymore. I found myself lying in a prone position on some stony edge of something. I would have said 'cliff' for dramatic effect but it is not a cliff; just the edge of the road carved at one side of a hill that if I totally roll down, I'd end up splashing in a shallow stream probably scaring off the resident frog or snake!

I got up as soon as the first wave of shock vanished! I looked around and saw the motorbike just a few inches away from where my head was when I fell. Then I felt a dreadful pain on my right knee. I checked it out and saw my jeans torn. There was a gash and a few terrible scratches around it. I tried to walk to see if I injured other parts. I thought, Thank God, it's only the knee and the corresponding right elbow plus an awful feeling of nausea. I tried to locate the driver, he was thrown off farther down the edge of the road. I asked him if he's OK (he doesn't speak Tagalog) he murmured a few unintelligible words but I saw his hands and ankles bleeding. He went to his bike and positioned it upright, gave it a few kicks here and there and ordered me to ride again. (I was trying to look behind me hoping that my husband's motorbike would come before we ride off again.) After a few minutes of waiting, I obeyed.

We arrived at our destination and the others caught up with me and so I told them the story. I was informed that two other bikes had an accident too; my husband's, and the newlywed's and my sis-in-laws new husband sustained a burn from the exhaust pipe. So they joked about what a welcome that was, for me and the new bro-in-law, into their family. It was like an initiation to join a brotherhood or something. As for the driver, he left as soon as he deposited me in front of a house somewhere there. He did not even collect my fare. (But I think my father-in-law gave something for him to the other drivers. I hope it reached him. His scrapes sure needed some cleaning and bandaging. I would have offered to do it for him (it's good I always remember that I am a nurse when I see blood.. hehe) had he not fled too fast.

I tried not to limp in front of the people cuz they are so worried and kept asking if I am OK. I am one person who doesn't like anyone fussing over me. So I walked normally in front of everybody. Somebody said that the more you think about the pain, the more it aches so to forget my injury, I befriended some little boys and asked them to take me to see the lake. Yes, there's a scenic lake in that place (well, that's why it's called Lakewood. It is so beautiful it deserves a blog entry of its own so you might want to look forward to that.) The boys called my husband and we went there, took some pictures and then I saw some lanzones peelings on the ground and I insisted that I be taken to see a real lanzones grove. So we went and harvested a few kilograms of the sweet fruit. I ate right on the ground as my husband (who climbed the tree) throw the fruits at me. I was supposed to collect them to a plastic bag but goodness, that was my first time to see a lanzones tree with real ripe fruits hanging on its branches. "There were so many of them I wanted to burn them down." (That's an expression in Kalanguya. It's a bit negative but it's just a way of expressing delight over something you can't totally have!) So I ate lanzones until my gums and tongue bled. It's ok, it diverted my mind from the pain in my lower extremity.

But now that I am back home, I gave myself the luxury to feel and get real with the pain in my kneecap so I resumed my limping now, here in Nueva Vizcaya.

In my younger years, I used to ride horses, and I had my share of falling off their backs but I have never been injured in those falls. Now, I am not sure if I would like to ride a motorbike again. Maybe if I drive.


M

Comments

Hannah Im said…
Haha, I love the honesty in your writing. Very funny! Halamat. But I hope you have recovered fully from your fall.

Only advice I have on flying is to chew gum like crazy on take off and landing to help clear your ears. Don't know if it will work for you, but try next time.

Well, I need to now go google the name of the fruit you were eating. Never heard of lazones (?) before.

Magandang hapon po.
Wil said…
Is that motorbike like those tricycles in Manila where you ride on the thing that's attached to the bike? If so, I've ridden in a couple of tricycles during my last trip. They look so flimsy that one accident and parang tapos ka na. Anyway, good thing you weren't seriously injured.
G said…
hi wil,
thanks... lol, "...one accident and parang tapos ka na.." hehe, that's true.

no, not a trike. it's the bike with nothing attached to it. Those ones that you should not ride unless you're wearing a helmet or something.

thanks for dropping by :)

Hey Hannah,
Yes, my knees decided not to hurt and so I stopped limping a couple of days ago. :) The only evidence now is a very big scar on my knees :(

Hey, thanks for that tip on flying. I really dread that earache every time I fly.

Did you find the lanzones? I think it's one of the fruits that can only grow here in the tropics, I'm not sure though. All I know is that it's one of my fav...

Thanks again for reading my blog :)
Hannah Im said…
I did find the lanzones. They look yummy! I think that I got to try just one of them a few years ago, but that's it! Oh, I liked your saying "There were so many of them that I wanted to burn them down." :P

Ha, let me see if I can track down my sis now. She is a moving target who rarely tells me where she is going.

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS