my brother wore my sandals

No, you're thinking wrong. :) My brother is not gay, but he was forced to wear my sandals when we had to make a U-turn in the middle of nowhere.

I was on a jeep (packed like sardines with sacks of rice, chickens, bags of junk food and boxes of various goods) that travels the worse-than-your-halsema road going to my birthplace. We left town at around 1PM and expected to arrive at around 6. Almost half way up the road that looks for the most part like a water buffalo mud pool, the jeep broke. The pile of metal (differential is it?) under its belly fell off because it has been "leveling off the stony 'hill' in between the path of the tires" for the last couple of hours. There were no houses in sight so we had no option other than to walk up the road and find a house while the guys try to do something about the jeep. After over half an hour of hiking, we came to a dwelling. There was a little sari-sari store with lots of ripe bananas for sale. We attacked the bananas while we wait. And we wait and wait and wait and wait then after two hours, I received an SMS asking me what color my bag is. A very nice lady carried my belongings to the house where I was. Apparently, the jeep was irreparable at the time and so we have no choice but to stay there overnight.

Good for us Igorots. We can be guests in people's houses even if they barely know us. All the passengers of the jeep were forced to leave their sacks of rice and boxes of goods in the jeep with a promise from the driver that he'll go down to town to buy the necessary parts, fix his jeep and deliver their supplies to their doors.

I and my brother was supposed to be in the village that day but since we were stranded in the middle of nowhere, and the meeting we were supposed to go to pushed through without us, we did not have any more reason to go so we went back to town by foot the next morning. The problem was that I was wearing my usual half-inch heeled sandals. Along the way, my brother noticed that I was getting slower and slower. He assumed it's due to blisters. Good for me he was wearing flipflops (step-in nga kuna da) so we exchanged footwears. Of the 5 hours that we hiked, I walked with my sandals for an hour, my brother for 4 hours. LOL

Thank God for big brothers.

(Last night he was at my home. He was watching TV and had put up his legs on the center table. I noticed a big keloid-like extension on both his big toes. I'm sure my sandals are to blame for those big blisters.

Comments

Anonymous said…
ang sweet naman!...

ako naman thank God for a younger brother (hehe...di naman ganyan kasweet pero walang reklamo nu ibaon-baon piman..hehe).
Anonymous said…
you're brother is so wonderful. how did he manage to walk with high heeled shoes?
lovelyn said…
Lucky for you to have a brother like that!

You were right about us who welcome strangers in our home. Nice make over here, btw.
tenengteng said…
and when we pass by the following morning (because we were hiking - a very good exercise when there is no ride- but not wearing sandal:))they were still repairing. We saw the poor lifeless chicken on top of the jeep. kawawa...

Merry Christmas to all!
Layad said…
Ahehehehe... Wawa naman si Manong! At least ammonan ti karigatna ti agheels ehehehe...

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS