UPDATE ON MAEMAE AS OF DECEMBER 14TH

I just came from visiting Maemae at the hospital.  I found her asleep in her mom's lap.  After a few minutes, she opened her eyes and gave me a weak smile.  The first thing I noticed is her abdomen.  It was too big and looks everything but normal.  There are both bad and good news about her illness.  The good is that her temperature which has been seesawing at 39 and 40 degrees C for the last week went down to 36 for the last 6 hours. The doctor said that this is a strong sign that the antibiotic (Meronem) is finally combating the infection on her swollen bowels.  The bad news is that they will have to insert a tube into her stomach.  As I said on the previous update, treatments being considered are surgery and an NGT (naso-gastric tube) for suctioning of the paralytic intestine.  This morning, the MD was preparing her for NGT insertion.  The parents asked me what I think about it and I didn't know what to say. Patients with NGT that I took care of years ago flooded my mind and the discomfort of it all.  NGT may be considered a routine procedure by some in some situations but I cannot bring myself to imagine a 2ft foreign thing hanging out from Maemae's cute face.  Even so, I tried my best to sound normal while maintaining to be realistic and avoiding to give false impressions that it's going to be easy because I know very well that it's going to be everything but comfortable. I also read her ultrasonographic report and it says there that more than half of all the colon is distended and gaseous.  Maemae cannot move her bowel nor can she pass out gas. 

She has another ultrasound today and we will know tomorrow what other progress she is making.

I was hoping that they can stimulate  the intestines through medicines so it can pass bowel wastes by itself and not have to insert an NGT to suction out its contents but I guessed the blockage is too big or the intestine is too swollen that it's going to be detrimental to the over-all treatment if they induce peristalsis too soon. 

Robert and Medy appreciate all our prayers and let us continue to pray for them especially Maemae.  Her mom told me that she said she wants to go back to school (she's in a kinder class) and she also said "ayoko na ng tusok, ayoko na dito!" (I don't like the injections anymore, I don't like it here anymore!)  Please continue to pray for endurance for all of them, and of course healing for Maemae.  Pray also for Buboy (Maemae's 6-yr old big brother) as he is left with his aunts and uncles in their house while both his parents are in the hospital with Maemae.

Do continue to pray for financial provision for them, they are spending Php 4300.00 every 8 hours for the antibiotic Meropenem Trihydrate. The problem is that the pharmacies here in the province do not have more than 3 of this medicine because it is rarely used and it is very expensive.  Robert have had to ask one pharmacy to order it for him.  You may also praise the Lord with us for putting kindness in the heart of an owner of a pharmacy near the hospital:  After hearing Maemae's case,  this certain owner of a pharmacy gave his last two vials to Robert as a 'pautang.'  He told them that they can pay it later when they have enough money.  God is working out miracles even in the midst of this sad situation. 

Thank you and God bless you all...

Comments

Wawa naman si Maemae. Katatapos lang ng birthday celebration niya e. I pray that she will get well. Talaga nga agriri ti ubbing ti injection.

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS