COULD'VE BEENS

You would know that I've been spending too much time in friendster and other similar sites when you catch me getting all dreamy, sad, and thoughtful.  Like the other night, I accidentally ran into the friendster profile of an old classmate in college while commenting on a friend's picture.  Out of curiousity, I went in and spent the next hour checking out the albums.  I was amazed at the pictures rather the places where the pictures were taken.  I knew there would be pictures of UK cuz I knew that's where this classmate and his wife's been working, but I also saw Eiffel Tower, the St. Peter's Basilica, the Leaning tower of Pisa in Italy, Disneyland, views in Portugal and many other places. 

After I gushed and drooled over the travel photos, I proceeded to take a look at his contacts, and of course I saw a few people there whom I knew back in college whose geographical locations were half a world removed from where we used to be.  So that got me thinkin', "My, my, my, I am the only one who hasn't left this pitiful country!" And so begins the 'If-only-if-I-had-..... I-could-have been...." stories in my mind.  I was on this state of mind when another old friend (who's also out of the country) prompted me in chat asking about my life and everything about my work.  Then we talked about people we both know and then towards the end, this friend said he envies me.  My first reaction of course was "Yeah, right!" 

With almost a decade in my work, one would think (as I myself do) that I should now be over anything that smells like a green monster regarding life status, and that my mind must now have settled into an absolute acceptance of my lot--a lot that I entered into with both my eyes wide open and the conviction that I am responding to a calling bigger than myself.  But I just found out that there's just no getting immuned in such things as this. I guess I should just learn to live with it, and not feel too much guilt when I catch myself thinking of the if onlys, the what ifs and could've beens.  After all, it is not as if I am regretting anything (maybe there is a bit of that actually, if I am totally honest), but mostly, it is the thought about being able to visit places and make things happen faster and more effectively than I am able in the position and situation that I have and am in at present that kind of takes me to roll in the if-only-ifs and could-have-beens.

Then my friend in YM said, "Is this going to be how my life will play out until the last day? If only if I was brave and committed enough like you, I could have been doing something somewhere that counts."  hmmm.... 

Erik Erikson's stages of development comes to mind.  People in their middle age start to think about leaving a legacy behind; to assist the next generation, to be generative; because if not, a person would become stagnant, thinking only about himself/herself and an intimate few.  At the end of the day, it is the generative person who can look back at his life with a smile and contentment while the other one looks back and see that it has all been a waste, opportunities and time squandered, a life wasted, and then he/she looks at the present as nothing but days speeding by out of his/her control.  Nobody wants that.

Bravery? Commitment? Maybe...

but looking back, it is actually only the grace of God that sustains me. My so called bravery or commitment can only go so far or take me to a point, but it is His grace alone that gives me the joy of heart, peace of mind, enthusiasm and motivation to go on in spite of my occasional episodes of whatifs and could'vebeens.

Comments

Wil Reyes said…
It would be great to visit those places you mentioned. But that's all it would be for me -- just nice places to visit. I wouldn't want to live there. If I could find something to do in the Philippines where I feel useful, then I would prefer to live there.
Satur Litawen said…
One of the only few things that human could not exchange to others is the situation we are in. We are here and there for numerous reasons. We did not choose which country we should be born but we still born in one of them. Driven by goal empowered by determination and inspiration unleashed by free will could significantly leads to somewhere but life driven by faith and prayer leads to Gods Will.
I think that we can never be certain; doubts will always plague us, as human tendencies go. But the certainty of the Lord's love and guidance will surely lead us. Hang in there, sis! The Lord is showing us new places, right? Di nga lang ung mga namention mo, but who knows? :D
xansui dyte said…
I bet I have a longer list of ‘could’ve beens’ inside me. But I believe that ‘you can never have it all’. So I choose to have fun and enjoy whatever & wherever I am in. Life is so short, if we die today, at least we died with a smile. Cheer up, sis!
Jean B said…
Well, this reminds me of two kinds of comments that i usually receive: those that tell me to go and find a work and those that envy what I am doing right now. Well, I also have my own lapses of thinking about 'could've beens' and 'what if's'. Hehehe. Buhay nga naman.
Margie Lumawan said…
hello wil!;) yup, same here, those are places i only want to visit... but.. thanks for the comment. I seldom see you comment here in multiply. Is it too religious for you? hehehe.. I'm sure there is some place here in the Phils or somewhere where you can do something that would count. :) God bless you...
Margie Lumawan said…
hi, oo naman, i've always been one who wants to be in the center of God's will but alam mo na, when my humanity hits, mejo napapalingon.. but that's ok, it forces me to reflect on my life.
Margie Lumawan said…
yah, thanks sis, di ba kase you'll co-write a linguistic paper on Cordi phonology with me para makapasyal tayo sa Eiffel tower? hehehe
Margie Lumawan said…
hey sis, my could've beens are not about having-it-all though.. is just about... what if I went to work 'there' and 'there' or 'there', I could've been 'this' and 'this' or 'this' before I became 'this.' ..mga ganung tipo... but as i've said, they're just episodes... :) thanks for ur comment.. enjoy! :)
Margie Lumawan said…
..oo nga, buhay talaga!... di maiiwasan no? kase mismong mga significant others natin, they have other dreams and other plans for us.. so minsan, nakakaimpluwensya talaga... anyway, God will make a way.. :)
Satur Litawen said…
Yong kasabihan, The other side always looks greener but when you get there it will turn to gray and even brown. It happens to me either not only once that when the human eye try to invade and monopolize my perspective, my eyes tends to open-wide side-ward instead of upward. One significant evidence that a person is in a greener one is that only few is in that place and the main thing is he/she is with the greatest Shepperd of all times where the incorruptible grasses are abundant.

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS