of ebays & iphones

I was scammed!

One of the things I like about myself is the ability to think the best about people and always giving anyone the benefit of a doubt. But yesterday this has become a curse. I tried to buy a used phone in ebay and it turned out that the supposed seller was a scammer. He took my money (a considerable amount, yes) and never sent the product most likely cuz he doesn't have it in the first place.

At first, I had this nagging doubt, and for three times I blurted out loud, "No Margie, don't bid on it!" But in the end, I did. I did asked the right questions, etc., etc., to try to make sure that the seller is genuine. He even gave me a valid serial number, a valid tracking number after he supposedly sent the product through Air21. He also told me the tracking number won't be valid until after 24 hrs, which is usually right, but after 12 hours, I checked the tracking number in the courier's website and I found out that it was the number for a package that had been delivered like five months ago!

You can imagine the mixed feelings I was feeling at the time. I was angry more to myself than the scammer. After calming down a bit, I opened the item in ebay and wrote a message to the seller. I told him I forgave him, and that I hope my money would help him change his life for the better, and that he should stop lying to people, and that God wants him to lead an honest life. Of course, all that time, I was trying very very hard to keep myself from writing to him all the expletives I could think of!

I went back and read all the exchanges I had with the seller and I could almost hit myself for ignoring a lot of the inconsistencies in his answers to the questions I asked. One time I asked him if he bought the unit new, and he said yes. Another day I asked him how much he bought the phone for, and he said he doesn't know because it was only given to him by his aunt. After he gave me the serial number, I asked him where his aunt bought it, and he said he doesn't know, probably here in the country. If I was paying close attention, I would have had caught him before it was too late. I even wrote "Are you sure you are not a scammer?" But of course I did not send it fearing that I would insult the person. As it turned out, I was the one who got played. He made me look like a fool. Well, I made myself look like a fool! GRRRRRRRRR!!!

So guys, take extra care when dealing with people specially in online shopping.

Comments

Kayni said…
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry to hear this. Is there a way you can a file a complaint against this person with ebay? They must have a policy about scammers. I've been reading that scammers especially from Nigeria and Ghana are doing this. I know some friends got scammed at ebay too - one of them got scammed for a bit amount. All the serial numbers they'd give you are fake. Please let ebay know about this, so that no one will be scammed again.
Wil said…
I haven't bought anything from ebay, but I have bought items from other sellers through Amazon.com. I usually check the seller's ratings and how many buyers have rated him. I then compare his rating and his # of buyers with other sellers. If a seller has just opened an account and hasn't sold anything, then I avoid that seller. But if a seller has several thousand buyers with a good rating, then I buy from him/her.
abella said…
scammers seem to be "everywhere". my wife was applying for a tutorial job through Carigslist but she figured out it was a scam because of the inconcistencies from the email she received. she then flagged that posted one out. the next day, after spending much time with her resume, she sent to another tutorial company only to receive a response with almost the same content from the supposed first company she sent her application. which tells that the scammer just renamed his/her supposed "company". the bad thing is the one asking for a tutorial for her daughter who is in the US eh taga Pilipinas kuno:(.
Hannah Im said…
So sorry to hear this :-( I too was scammed a few years ago when I tried to buy a cellphone from a company on the internet. At the time, the money I lost seemed extremely large. Hope you can get your money back. And hope you keep blogging. I miss your posts.

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS