books&me

I was hovering over a library counter yesterday where lots of sci-fi, mystery novels, and thrillers are on display. After a while, the lady at the counter looked up and saw me flipping the pages of some of the books. She said, "Hmm, so you like science fiction. I don't like them!" "I have read some, but they're not my favorites," I answered. She raised her eyebrows because it was obvious by the way I was stacking the books that I have a plan to take them with me.

I've bought some books from the same library before so I know that they will only cost me a negligible amount. I don't know but it seems silly to me to pass up owning good novels when they only cost 5pesos a piece. So I asked the librarian to put the books in a box as I run to my room to get some money.

Now, I just finished marking the books and I looked at the shelves of novels and other books that I have bought the last six months (not to mention those that were given to me by friends who know of my book-obsession) and thought that I should make it a point to read one book a week or I might not live long enough to read them all, haha! And that I should start a reading journal to kind of put down my thoughts after I read one book. Not a bad plan, right? But I am one of those people who would write down things to do but end up doing other things because as soon as I finish my list, I would start feeling oppressed and controlled and strangled by my to-do-list.

On another topic, I've been attending a lecture/workshop on Discourse analysis and the readings are on a pdf file that we read off our laptops. I get terrible headaches after a few hours of doing that and been wanting to ask for a printed copy of the manuals we've been following, but have not gotten the guts to ask for one. I was hoping some of the participants will get headaches too so that one would ask for a hard copy. Why shouldn't that one be me? Good question... I guess the answer is... because I'm still terrified of teachers.... just like in first grade. LOL.

Comments

Kayni said…
I understand that feeling of being terrified with teachers. I am like that too, but was able to get over it once I got in college.

I love books =). I have five that I still have to read, so no visits to the bookstore for me for a while.
G said…
hello sis, i don't know why but I've always been shy around teachers, and has never outgrown nor overcome it.

hmm, good to know you're a bookworm too.. hehe! I'm a bit O-C so I do not want to start reading if there are more important things to do because reading will get on top of everything and more likely, I won't be able to do anything else. lol

blessings on you, dear sis

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS