My 3 Cs (my Culture, my Cousin, and my Carbonara)

The Kalanguyas have a cultural practice called "Tanga" (with stress on the first syllable). This is done by inviting oneself into the house of another for a meal. In the past, when somebody comes to your door and that person says he is 'timanga,' you don't have a choice but to let him in and feed him at least three meals. They are usually children but usually, a parent accompanies them.

I remember when I was a little girl, I had a pet chicken. One evening, we had visitors, a young boy and his mother. I was surprised because my grandmother was hurrying to cook rice when we usually eat sweet potatoes for supper. My grandfather also was burning chicken feathers on the fire. The next morning, after breakfast, the mother and son left, with my pet chicken tuck under the young boy's armpit. I went to my grandmother and cried my heart out. She explained to me that the boy wanted my chicken. "Tinang-an to," she said. So I learned that one cannot refuse someone who is timanga There is probably a corresponding bad luck for that. After a few days, I told my mom that I should also 'tanga' so that I can go to someone else's house and get myself a chicken when I come home. My mom never liked the practice though, so she just told me to choose another pet from the many chicks in our coop.

Well, when I was in Nansiakan last weekend, an aunt jokingly told me that her daughter Gigi was timanga. It is Christmas anyway so I told them to come down to Bambang and I will cook for them. They came this morning. The mother and three daughters. So for supper today, we had carbonara. I think my six year old cousin liked it because she said she'd like to save what's in her plate so she can eat it tomorrow. I told her to just finish her plate because there's still plenty in the pot. Her face broke into a happy grin.

There is my carbonara... rich and creamy. I just can't find any green at the market today for garnish. All they have are ampalaya leaves. I don't think Gigi would like that, and neither would the older people who came to enjoy the pasta. I always cook red sauce for pasta, this is the only time I tried white sauce. I found out it's much cheaper and just as tasty.

Since I do not have a chicken to give to her, Bong decided to take her to the market tomorrow to buy her some shoes.

I think I like this 'tanga' thing. I can be very forgetful at times and it would be good for people to come 'tanga'-ing at my door so I can do a little kindness once in a while. Hehehe!

Comments

Kayni said…
Carbonara is also a favorite for me, among others. It's interesting to hear about "Tanga." I've never heard of it. I'd have to ask my Mom and see if she knows about it.

How are you, sis?
G said…
hello sis, :) I like carbonara too, although I wasn't sure I could pull it off that's why I never tried cooking it until now.

Ok naman ako sis, medyo busy lang sa pagtuturo. :) how about you?

Popular posts from this blog

of big shoes and lessons

ADDICTIONS